While it’s normal for all relationships to encounter a plateau from time to time, it’s still no consolation for the couple dealing with it. If your relationship is suffering through a sexual lull, here are five tips to help you renew your passion and get back on the right track.
Try Something New
Do you always resort to the same old routine? Nothing creates a rush of excitement quite like trying something different, so free your mind and open yourself up to new adventures:
- Role-playing – This game is not only sexy, but it’s fun too! Be the Tarzan to her Jane or the sexy policeman who saves her from imminent danger. The possibilities are endless, and you’re limited only by how far your imagination will take you.
- New positions – Experimenting with a variety of sexual positions adds some renewed vigor to lovemaking and can also uncover erogenous zones and other sensual things about your partner you never knew existed.
- Share your fantasies –Open up and share your innermost sexual fantasies with your significant other, and you might be pleasantly surprised to find out she has some kinky ones of her own. Make a valiant effort to turn those fantasies into reality.
- Sex toys – Toys are a great way to take intimacy up a notch, and there are numerous products on the market today for every fantasy and fetish imaginable. From edible undies to vibrators, you’re sure to find something both of you can enjoy together.
- Sexting – If you’re feeling especially risqué, text your partner a naughty photo or describe in great detail what you plan to do when the two of you are finally alone. Sexting is a lot like foreplay and helps to build up the anticipation for the next time you’re together.
- Daylight delight – If work, family, or other responsibilities leave you exhausted at the end of the day, sex is probably the last thing on your mind when you go to bed. So, change things up a bit and have sex first thing in the morning, when you’re fully rested and raring to go. Research studies have proven that sex speeds more oxygen to the brain, so a morning romp between the sheets could also help you have a more productive day.
Indulge in Erotica
Sex is just as much a visual experience as it is a physical one, and a little pornography can add a huge boost to the libido. Watch an erotic movie together or take turns reading erotic literature to each other. Believe it or not, pornography doesn’t always mean cheesy plots and cringe-worthy acting. There are many sexy movies and books available today that are tasteful and couple-friendly.
Get Away from It All
If your work and home life are dulling the spark in your relationship, then hit the road for an overnight or weekend getaway. Sometimes simply getting away for a little while is enough to help a couple regroup and focus some much-needed attention on each other and their relationship. Here are a few tips for an unforgettable mini-vacation:
- If you can afford to splurge, rent a hotel room or cabin with a jacuzzi built for two.
- Put your phone away and turn off the TV so you can have some quality time together with no interruptions.
- Treat yourself to a couple’s massage, which is just as good for the libido as it is for the body.
Create a Bedroom Bucket List
With the new year approaching, now would be a great time to create a list of things you’d like to explore inside the bedroom. Discussing what you’ve always wanted to do – and never brought up – is a wonderful and healthy way to support each other sexually. If you really want to get creative, write your wishes on note cards, fold them up, and put them inside a jar. Then, once a month, take one out and do what’s written on the card.
Remember when your relationship was new and you couldn’t keep your hands off each other? To create that feeling again, you need to start outside the bedroom. Every small token of affection, like touching and kissing, has the ability to rekindle a flame. Take every opportunity you can to make out like a couple of teenagers – but don’t think of it as something that might eventually lead to sex. Do it to help the two of you reconnect on a deeper emotional level. Prolonging intimacy with lots of sensual touching, hugging, kissing, and caressing can create a closeness between you and your partner that extends outside of the bedroom too.